Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 11:19:43 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor patches to pwd_mkdb

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 02:08:59 MST, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> But I'm not saying change the default, leave it at 2, I just think
> it should be easy to tweak, such that it is persistent across source
> updates.

I think what both Mike and I are suggesting is that a magic value for
which the ideal setting varies should be variable. Thus, a compile-time
option is not ideal.

Either it needs to be a run-time option, or the software should
determine a good cache size on its own. The run-time option idea is
silly if the software can do it without human help. In this case, I
think we're all agreed that it can.

> How many machines have many thousands of users, but a couple MB's of
> memory for a few seconds is a premium?

Actually, it's the machines that have thousands of users that tend to
get used a lot. *grin*

Basically, what neither of us has said is "well done, you've spotted a
part of FreeBSD that could be improved and suggested one way of doing
it". We're just suggesting a better improvement.

Ciao,
Sheldon.