Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:04:31 -0500
From:      "Jud " <jud@operamail.com>
To:        "HODGE, DAVE (SBCSI)" <dh5818@sbc.com>, "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FW: does FREEBSD work with either "Partition Magic" or "Boot Magi c" b y Power Quest?

----- Original Message -----
From: "HODGE, DAVE (SBCSI)" <dh5818@sbc.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 01:12:21 -0800
To: "''questions@FreeBSD.org''" <questions@FreeBSD.org>

> I'm trying to utilize one boot method for many various OS systems that I
> need to run for evaluation. What I'm trying to find out is do you know if
> the Power Quest product  "Partition Magic" or "Boot Magic" have been
> successfully used with FREEBSD OS? If yes, how were the products utilized?

I'm currently using a shareware program called BootIt NG (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com), which has similar capabilities to PM/BM.  I use BootIt to multi-boot a RAID-0 array with Windows 2000 and FreeBSD, and a separate hard drive with Windows 98.  I've also used BootIt to resize and move my Windows partitions, though not my FreeBSD partition.

BootIt NG has very similar capabilities to Partition Magic/Boot Magic, and I'd speculate they work in similar fashion.  That said, I don't know two things: (1) Whether Partition Magic or BootIt NG can be used to resize FreeBSD slices or partitions; and (2) whether Boot Magic recognizes and can boot FreeBSD.  However, there are alternative ways (some of them free) to accomplish both.  For example, GRUB is an excellent free bootloader available as a FreeBSD port.  (I'm not using it currently only because I haven't been able to figure out how/if GRUB works with RAID-0 arrays.)

Jud