Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:54:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot blocks question

I have a laptop with 4.1 installed on it and am going to install
a fresh version of 4.2 release. The laptop didn't have the floppy
disk plugged in at the time, so I thought I'd "cheat" and save having
to go find it by doing this:

  $ dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/ad0s1
  $ reboot

I have no idea whether this is supposed to work or not. In any
case, it didn't. It gets as far as loading /boot/loader and fails.

So, (purely out of curiousity) why didn't this work?

-Archie