Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:04:53 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any ideas at all about network problem?

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:27:34AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> [ ... bad throughput on bad NICs ... ]

Mmmm. I use these RTL cheapo nics. I accept the fact they have a bad
reputation. However I have used them for some time, and they have
behaved impeccably. I have noticed no change in throughput on 5.0
either, and since I have downloaded loads off stuff which comes through
my firewall and then via the LAN to the 5.0 test machine I think I would
have noticed if it was slower than normal.
Having said that I have not checked the throughput, but then nothing has
happened to make me want to check it. I run 4-7 Stable updated at least
once a week, and the latest patched 5.0 from a few days ago.

The network also runs through a fairly cheapo switch.

Maybe I just get lucky, touch wood (or my anti-static wrist band :).

My problem is that extensive use of my hoover sometimes makes some of
the computers stop, but I don't think a slightly overloaded electrical
system can be solved in software...

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson