Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:11:29 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        the_hermit665@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cron  GNU???

GNU stands for GNUs not unix, which stands for GNUs not unix not unix
which stands for GNUS not unix not unix not unix.  It's silly
recursion.  Some other things have silly recursive names like that,
there was even some program i saw once whose name bounced between two
names somehow.  It's just sillyness, but it can be amusing if you're
tired...

Cosmic 665 wrote:

> >     Why is it called a "CRON" job?  I've noticed that there is a reason
> >for
> >just about every name in UNIX, but I still fail to see what Conan the
> >barbarian's warrior god has to do with anything...  I didn't know
> >Cimmerians
> >even used computers...
> >

> I guess it's just another "Stupid Acronym" among the rest.  WTF does GNU
> stand for??? I know GNU is  "GNU's not unix" or "GNU not unix"?? But what
> does the "GNU" in "GNU's not unix" stand for??  (Here's a reall good one for
> ya ....  any takers?????.)
>
> -cosmic-665

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 1999 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved