Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 22:13:32 -0400
From:      Kenneth Legg <sce04020@mail.wvnet.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   modems

I using Freebsd 2.2.5 and would like to know what type of modem I should
buy. I have been told that the US robotics external works very good. If
this is the modem that I should buy does it need to be plug and play, I
was told plug and play was not necessary with external modems because
there are no resources to be used except the ones that are used by the
serial port, and is there anything I have to do to hook it up besides
plugging it in the serial port? Are there drivers to install? If not how
does Freebsd detect the modem?

Kenneth