Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:16:10 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ghostmansd@gmail.com
Cc:        soc-status@freebsd.org, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>, Konrad Jankowski <versus@freebsd.org>, freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Report #9: Unicode support

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 01:08:58AM +0400, Dmitry Selyutin wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>=20
> Here are the last news about the Unicode support project[0].
> You can always check my repository[1].
>=20
> During these days I had hardware problems (my HDD peacefully died), so
> development didn't progress so much as before. However, I've
> eliminated these problems, so I tried to fix bugs and reorganize the
> code as much as possible. Now everything shall compile.
>=20
> I decided to use __attribute__((constructor)) and
> __attribute__((destructor)), since I don't know if there exist a
> better way to open a file once in the startup and closing it when all
> routines close. I've found one or two occurrences of this construction
> in FreeBSD code; AFAICT it is rather common in clang and gcc, so I
> decided to use it. Hopefully it will also allow us to use root
> collation database in the embedded systems (if any such system really
> needs collation algorithm).
>=20
> As you may know we need a tool that can convert collation text files
> obtained from unicode.org to new collation database (colldb) format.
> There is a version of this tool written in Python
> (share/examples/colldb/colldb.py). IIRC we can't use Python when we
> have a base system though, so it seems that we need to written such
> tool using C language. I was thinking of lex/yacc combo; I've never
> tried it, but I think it shouldn't be too hard to write a tool using
> it. I'd like to know your opinions about this task.
> I've already written a man page (bin/colldb/colldb.1). The only thing
> which seems dubious is that I decided to use the same name as for the
> library itself (well, it seems I have a lack of imagination). So we
> have both colldb.1 and colldb.3 man pages.
>=20
> The other thing I'd really like to do is to really force network byte
> order in collation database format (I'm sure I've seen a way to do it
> in Berkley databases). It's a pity that I have no platform with
> big-endian (or even PDP!) byte order. Any help here is highly
> appreciated (as well as your thoughts about lex/yacc, i.e. thoughts
> whether it fits well to my task).
>=20
> Since Google Summer of Code period has passed, I'd like to thank both
> my mentors, Pedro and David, who gave me a helping hand during this
> project, and especially Konrad Jankowski, who found time to answer my
> questions and help me too. Though GSoC is closed, I'd like to stay
> with FreeBSD project. First of all, I want to finish and bring to mind
> this project: I don't think it's really finished, especially its
> testing part, though it seems that new collation algorithm can already
> be used. Then I'd like to work in other parts of my project,
> especially in internationalization parts. I'd also like to improve my
> own library, qc, to provide a rich API for *BSD and POSIX systems,
> [...]

First thank you very much for your work on this subject this is highly need=
ed.

Concerning the db format have you thought about using the new netbsd consta=
nt
database format?

It has simple API way easier to use, the db format is endian safe and final=
 file
is smaller than equivalent in bdb format.

Lots of areas of FreeBSD could benefit from using this cdb format as well i=
mho.

regards,
Bapt

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy