Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:08:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shawn Lussier <project10@alpha.focalnetworks.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS & Load Averages

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing one of my systems to have a
high load average than the other system? I am running a recursive cp
between two systems on a 10mbps LAN. The systems, at the time, have
nothing else running aside from the NFS server and client. The first
server, ``omega'', has load averages around .70. This system is a 1.0 ghz
system, with 512 mb ram and 30 gb of ATA/100 disk space. It's running a
3COM 3c905B card, to my recollection. The second system, ``alpha'' is a
celeron 450 with 256mb ram and 17 gb of ATA/66 storage, running a
ne2000-compatible network card. The load averages on alpha are somewhere
around .12 when doing the copy. The cp process is being run on alpha,
copying the entire /usr tree, which is exported on omega. I am somewhat
perplexed about the cause of the higher load averages on what (should) be
a more powerful system. Again, does anyone have any insights as to the
cause of this? I believe it may be something to do with the disk system on
omega.

-Shawn L