Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 21:41:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      tim@scratch.demon.co.uk
To:        ludwigp@bigfoot.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vinum again

Hi,

Cheers to Ludwig for the help

its the newfs bit that was giving me a headache, mounted ok but on
reboot put me single user as could not mount vinum drive

I had to vinum create configfile and then mount it manually.

This could be a problem with the name or location of my config file is
there a certain name or place for these ?

Another thing the disks were all on the same drive due to my testing
vinum with my only free space until I know more about what I am doing
then the plan gets grander !

Question:

The concat form I thought does not do mirroring as it fills each
subdisk in turn - is this correct ?

If not then how to get it mirroring would that be by having more than
one plex on the volume ?

Do you use raid or raid-5, if so does it affect performance much ?

What I really want to do sounds simular to your setup usr and var being
mirrored and I want to have /home/data in a form whereby as and when it
is needed I can add more subdisks or plexes whichever would be
appropriate to extend the availiable space, rather than new disk, and
copy accross.

Thanks again and to all who aid me here.

--

Tim.
====

I'd rather boot Bill Gates than Windows any day !