Date:      24 Mar 2003 14:33:49 -0500
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPF misbehaves on prolonged TCP flood

I am running FreeBSD v4.7 on a Athlon 1600+ w/ 512mb RAM. I have
experienced on several occasions where a prolonged TCP flood causes me
to lose the ability to do DNS resolutions.

My internet connection itself is still working, as my existing
connections are still active. The only thing I've noticed not working is
DNS resolutions. The problem will persist indefinitely unless I rehash
IPF.

This problem has happened twice when backing up my Windows "C:\Program
Files" directory via FTP to my FreeBSD box. It also happened recently
when some lamer was DDoS'ing my box for ~30 hours or so.

Each time, rehashing IPF fixes the problem instantly. So, IPF has to be
related. Is anyone familiar with such a problem? Any idea what might be
causing it, or how to correct it by adding/removing/modifying a setting
somewhere?

Thanks,
--
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>