Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:25:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bitPCI

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Geoff Buckingham wrote:

> I am building test platforms for an application with very great disk and
> Network IO requirements. Which of the FreeBSD supported alphas have a
> 64bit  PCI bus ?

pc164 for one. Nearly all of the other alpha's *I've* ever seen. Note that
all 64 bit pci cards work fine in 32 bit slots.

> Is anybody using 64bit isp, gigabit cards or vinum  succesfully with
> FreeBSD alpha?

ISP yes, Vinum yes.  I haven't tried my new Intel Gigabit card in an alpha
yet.

> Is an alpha likely to outperform a modern x86 system IO wise?

[ no numbers to back this- just a feel ]

That's a tough question. For some years I would have said yes. Now I'm not
so sure. On the larger systems, absolutely. A TurboLaser or a RawHide
will blow the doors off anything built with Intel. But for the small to
midlevel systems, the processors && memory controllers are probably pretty
close, with Intel PCI interfaces probably doing better and alpha processor
caches doing better.