Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:30:42 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Userbase of -current

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:34:41PM -0400, a little birdie told me
that Garance A Drosihn remarked
> At 11:18 PM -0700 7/17/01, Peter Wemm wrote:
> >If I had to guess, I'd put the total [genuine] -current userbase
> >at between 20 and 50 people.  And many of those intentionally lag
> >by a few weeks to a month or two.
>
> At the kernel-confab at usenix, I heard some people talking about
> how "current wasn't really as bad as people assume it is".  I must
> admit I wonder how much current is actively used.  I know I try
> to build a new up-to-date current every two or three weeks, but I
> don't do much more on it than test a few changes.  I am certainly
> not "stress-testing" it.  Almost all of my real day-to-day work is
> done on machines which are tracking -stable.

FWIW, without extraordinary reason, I don't run 'production' machines on
-CURRENT (I think the last time I did so was when I ran a news server on
3.0-CURRENT).  However, my workstation runs -CURRENT, and my dialup router
does as well (mainly to make it easier to update), my laptop...  come to
think of it, almost all my of personal machines run -CURRENT, except for
one that runs 2.1-STABLE (386SX.  4 MB RAM.  80 meg disk.  Last benchmark:
13 days for a buildworld.  Don't think I'll update it any time soon).

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com