Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 17:17:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@dds.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS/YP

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> I couldn't find a page in the handbook as a guide while setting up NIS: is
> there any documentation/howto for that?

man yp

> And: how do I set up a master.passwd, because when exchanging the file
> with other hosts it might be difficult I think: in my master.passwd e.g.
> are long passwords (MD5 passwords) and when using those on a Linux box as
> NIS client or another FreeBSD host as NIS client without MD5 it might be
> difficult: can I also put in non-md5's in there (and how to) or isn't this
> such a big problem as I expect it to be...?! (can it safely be combined
> with erm... crypt/des passwords? (the same huh) (how do I post-install
> that eventually)

If you will be exchanging passwords with other systems, you must use DES.
Install the des libs from ftp.internat.freebsd.org.  After installing DES
everyone will have to change their passwords so the MD5 passwords are
removed.  You can automate this by setting the expire time to 1.  The next
time they login, they'll be forced to change their password.