Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 14:12:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DEVFS vs "regular /dev"

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> These problems may have been corrected.  I do know for certain that certain
> /dev/ entries missing causes the system to hang very early in init, and you
> can not even get up single user to fix it.  This _needs_ fixed badly, you
> should be able to
> rm -r /dev
> reboot
> and get the system up single user, if not you have a chicken and egg
> problem as to how to repair a damaged or loss /dev tree.

	That's what got me started playing with the DEVFS code.  I figured
I'd try to boot the system using devfs instead of the "normal /dev", and
found that /dev/ttyv* wasn't being created, so I couldn't login.  I've got
my system now to the point that I could do 'rm -r /dev' and be able to book
without any problems.

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc