Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:38:21 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        J & C Frazier <admin@csocs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with sendmail and NSI

>It's amazing what you learn when stuff goes haywire.  BTW: the dns issues were
>related to csocs.com being expired and the nameservers giving out
>old information.

hmmm, nope.  csocs.com's glue records are, 09:30 French time
2000-01-20, in the root-servers.net but none of the answer
authoritatively for the zone. That's not NSI's or anybody's pb but the NS's.

>NSI has corrected this problem also and should be
>fixed in 24-48 hours (one of their nice billing techs misapplied funds).
>Thanks again.

I don't think your amazement and learning is over, yet.

DNS Expert Pro will not even analyze the csocs.com zone because no NS
is answering authoritatively for the zone.  ie, the haywireness is in
the NS's and not in NSI, not in upstream links.

This has absolutley nothing all to do with NSI, as long as NSI has
not pulled the glue records from the roots.  99% of the time, absence
of the 'aa' flags means that the zone file has syntax errors.

In this query:

# dig +norec @NS.csocs.com csocs.com soa

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> +norec @NS.csocs.com csocs.com soa
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      csocs.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
csocs.com.              1H IN SOA       ns.csocs.com. root.ns.csocs.com. (
                                         78              ; serial
                                         1H              ; refresh
                                         15M             ; retry
                                         5w6d16h         ; expiry
                                         1H )            ; minimum

... ns.csocs.com should answer authoritatively, but it
doesn't.  Forget about billing, NSI, upstreams, etc, and fix your
zone file(s), esp start with the master NS, if you run one master and
the others as slaves for csocs.com.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 T9B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways