Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:16:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@frozenfeelings.com>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libraries...

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:

> No. .so denotes shared libraries, .a denotes a static library.

Oh, sorry. Never thought too much about such stuff. Anyways, I've analyzed
my problem a little more and I think I know what the problem *could* be.

When trying to built Xaw3d, I get a lot of messages saying

$(_NULLCMD_) expands to empty string

While I don't know what this means, I think that this refers to a problem
with on the these strings that are in all of these makefiles. There are
${X11BASE}/lib things everywhere and I really wonder where ${X11BASE} and
the like are actually specified. I think that this error message I've
quoted above shows that one of these strings are empty and this the build
of Xaw3d does not work correctly.

I assume that this problem is caused by the following thing: I have two
machines, both originally running 3.4-STABLE. On one machine, I added the
34upgrade.tgz package, on the other one I didn't. I then used CVSup to
obtain the 4.0-STABLE sources as well as an updated ports collection. I
did "make world" on both machines and they are now both successfully
running 4.0-STABLE. The build-process for Xaw3d only fails on the machine
that had the 34upgrade.tgz installed, on the machine without it it worked
without problems. 34upgrade was originally intended to make it possible to
build the latest ports on a 3.4 machine. But now that I have 4.0, it might
cause trouble. I tried to remove the 34upgrade-thing by doing pkg_delete
-f 34upgdare-2000.02.02 and I *hope* that it's gone by now. But even if it
really is, it still left some troubles behing. Maybe someone knows what
the 34upgrade package actually did and how I can get rid of it and fix my
system so that I can build Xaw3d.

Any help is appreciated.

Nils