Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:50:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP 4020i CD-R wishes

> As Peter Dufault wrote:
>
> > We have some layering now, where you go through per-device ioctl
> > code first and then hit the general code if it wasn't handled.  It
> > would probably benefit from one more layer:
>
> Hmm, but that doesn't cover stacking for read or write op's.  However,
> perhaps we don't need this at all?

Is it stacking you want or better packaging?  I think of stacking
as more like the ccd driver where you stack on top of an existing
driver without changing it much.

Do you want to be able to say "the worm uses this style write" and
use the same code in use in the tape writer? Then I think we tidy
up and formalize the libraries already started so that if you use
the same type of write for a tape and a recorder you don't have
the replicated code.

--
Temporarily via "hdalog@zipnet.net"...

Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267