Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:39:46 +0200
From:      Johan Johansen <Johan.Johansen@cc.uit.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        johanjohansen@cc.uit.no
Subject:   trouble using 2 pcmcia-cards

Last week I installed a laptop, HP Omnibook 3000, as a router between
pcmcia-card 3Com
3C574-TX and radio pcmcia-card WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11. This works ok if the
WaveLAN are
allowed to be probed first and get access to the lowest io-addresses in
pccard.conf
If my 3Com card are probed first, and the lowest 0x20 io-addresses get
occupied,
the WaveLAN card init will fail, see below.

To have the WaveLAN card be probed first, I can put it in slot 0. But then
the
antenna on the card blocks slot 1, so that is no good.

What I do is to boot with only the radio card inserted, and then insert the
ethernet
card, but it would be nice to be able to boot without me being around.

So, is there a way to make the WaveLAN happy with "second best"
io-addresses, or
is there a way to probe slot 1 first, or
should I look for some mechanical extension to avoid the radiocard to block
slot 1?

I use FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

My kernel config-lines
device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10
device wi0 at isa? port? net irq ?
 #putting in port-addresses here has no effect

My pccard.conf-lines
io      0x240-0x360
irq     3 10 11 13 15

card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
        config  0x1 "wi0" 11

card "3Com" "3C574-TX Fast EtherLink PC Ca"
        config  0x1 "ep0" 10 0x1

Messages when init fail
Card inserted, slot 0
Slot 0, unfielded interrupt (0)
ep0: No connectors or MII.
ep0: [*UTP*] address 00:60:08:93:b1:b5
Card inserted, slot 1
Slot 1, unfielded interrupt (0)
wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at 0x260-0x29f irq 11 on isa
wi0: init failed
wi0: Ethernet address: 0b:00:00:00:05:00
wi0: init failed
wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
wi0: tx buffer allocation failed
wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
wi0: mgmt. buffer allocation failed

regards
Johan Johansen