Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:45:20 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Want to upgrade sendmail in next OS release

"Ang utong ko ay sasabog sa sarap!" exclaimed
freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org while reading this message
on Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 21:33 and then responded with:

> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:05:54 +0100
> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Want to upgrade sendmail in next OS release

> Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> >  I don't want to build out of ports because it is set up not
> > to override the base install.

> Actually, I think your perception is incorrect here. If you want
> sendmail-8.14.1 on a FreeBSD 6.x system, then installing it out
> of ports really is the best and easiest way to go. There's no
> need to overwrite what the base system installs -- because of
> the way mailwrapper works, /usr/sbin/sendmail will refer to the
> ports version automatically.

> The ports version of sendmail is a pretty seamless drop in for
> the system version. You don't even need to use the startup
> scripts the port installs in /usr/local/etc/rc.d Instead, if you
> add the following to /etc/make.conf you can use the standard
> /etc/rc.d/sendmail start/stop scripts and all the machinery in
> /etc/mail for turning .mc into .cf files:

>    SENDMAIL_CF_DIR=        /usr/local/share/sendmail/cf
>    MAKEMAP=                /usr/local/sbin/makemap
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Agree completely as I've been doing that for the last couple of
years at a smallish ISP. Never a problem. And the install script
tells you how to update the 'mailwrapper'. It will also let you
set options for other MTAs and not modify programs that call
sendmail, which will then use the MTA of your choice.  The
mailwrapper is a nice concept.

As to the OP's worry [in the original post not included here] was
the concern about shutting down the system when doing this.
Certainly it would problematic if he built from the system as
in an OS upgrade, but for an application such as sendmail that's
not needed.

If he uses the ports and modifies the mailwrapper correctly,
after that all he has to do is restart sendmail.  That means
his MTA will be down for only a very few seconds, depending upon
the speed of the machine.  On a fast machine it may be totally
transparent.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com