Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 98 11:14:01 CST
From:      "Paul Coyne" <pcoyne@br-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   sendmail host map lookup timeout

I have a machine configured as a  relay host for all machines that can send
mail from our net.

The machine handles thousands of messages a day, but the queue will grow to
100-200 messages with most of the items in the queue showing as below (I
have substituted 'username' for the real username)

LAA07452      276 Mon Jan  5 11:12 <username@br-inc.com>
                 (host map: lookup (gmacalgary.com): deferred)
                                   <username@gmacalgary.com>
LAA07471     1443 Mon Jan  5 11:13 <username@br-inc.com>
                 (host map: lookup (anheuser-busch.com): deferred)
                                   <username@anheuser-busch.com>
LAA07283     1731 Mon Jan  5 11:02 <username@br-inc.com>
                 (host map: lookup (tobindatag.com): deferred)
                                   <username@tobindatag.com>
KAA07186      882 Mon Jan  5 10:59 <username@br-inc.com>
                 (host map: lookup (naplesnews.com): deferred)
                                   <username@naplesnews.com>

What is going on?

I try nslookup, and the domain resolves (MX and/or A records).   Why does
sendmail dns call fail?

I scripted a routine to grep the queue and manually nslookup the host names,
 after which (if I stop and start mail) sendmail blasts all the messages
out without a problem.

Please reply directly to pcoyne@br-inc.com.  (The volume of messages has
forced me to unsubscribe)

Machine is Pentium 200, 32MB, 2.2.5-RELEASE, runs named as secondary DNS
locally (forwarder/slave to firewall) and sendmail with virtusertable stuff,
 but otherwise a pretty generic configuration.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

paul