Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:42:57 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, Otter <otterr@telocity.com>, Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>, "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to Get Program to Start Automatically Upon Boot

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 08:32:08PM -0800, Randy Katz wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong but /etc/rc.local seems to be alive and
> well, at least in R4.1.1...

Before we get to far into another rc.d versus rc.local debate, let's
all RTFM, man rc,

  DESCRIPTION
     Rc is the command script which controls the automatic reboot (calling the
     other scripts) and rc.local is the script holding commands which are per-
     tinent only to a specific site.  Typically, the /usr/local/etc/rc.d mech-
     anism is used instead of rc.local these days but if you do want to use
     rc.local, /etc/rc still supports it.  In this case, rc.local should
     source /etc/rc.conf and contain additional custom startup code for your
     system.

But er..., em..., *cough* ignore that stuff in there about
rc.local.conf.