Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:25:49 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        joe mcguckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 4.11, disk probing problem

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:35:59PM -0800, joe mcguckin wrote:
> Installing on an Intel 815 motherboard, the installer insists that the ATA
> disk is ar0.
>=20
> Is this normal?
>=20
> At boot time I get diagnostic messages about ar0 broken raid, etc

ar0 is some sort of RAID array, rather than a plain disk which would
appear as ad0.

If you don't want to use a RAIDed system disk, then (assuming you can
boot the machine) run:

    # atacontrol list

which will tell you how the system thinks the RAID is set up.  Take
note of the channel number.  To delete the raid, and turn the system
back into using just ordinary drives, use:

    # atacontrol delete N

where N is the channel number.

Note that this *will* make your machine unbootable, as all of the
filesystems will be inaccessible.  If the original RAID was a RAID1
type (ie. a mirror) you could edit /etc/fstab to change the 'ar0' bits
to 'ad0' and reboot (you'll get an 'error mounting root' and manually
have to fill in the correct root partition the first time you do
that). Otherwise you'ld have to just re-install from scratch and
overwrite those drives.

Note: don't confuse the 'ar0' RAID array with ar(4) -- an ancient type
of ISA network interface card, or ar(1), a command used to create
libraries of object code.  ATA RAID is documented in the ata(4) and
atacontrol(8) man pages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd
PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Tilmanstone
Tel: +44 1304 617253                                  Kent, CT14 0JL UK

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T--