Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound card setup: ESS Maestro-2E on fujitsu lifebook e-seris

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> susumu@wakabaya.net wrote:
> >

> http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/maestro/releng4-20000725.tar.gz
> >
> > In case of me, the driver replays with built-in speaker of Toshiba
> > Dynabook SS 3380.
> > I'm very happy now.
> >

> Hey guys, you got me excited with this one.  But I cannot get
> it to work.  I figured out that I needed to add
> device	pcm
> to my config file (is that correct), as well as following
> the README instructions.
>
> Now, when I run mpg123, it doesn't complain that is cannot
> open /dev/dsp like it usually does, but neither does sound
> come out.  When I interupt it, it prints out messages
> suggesting it thinks it has played some music.

	Assuming you followed the rest of the instructions for getting
this driver to work this exactly the same probelm I had.  Try plugging
speakers in the sound out jack and see if they work.  That's the only way
it works on my Dell 7500

> As part of my dmesg I get:
>
> pci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> at 7.2 irq 5
> chip1: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0x1040-0x104f at device
> 7.3 on pci0
> pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> port 0x1400-0x14ff irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x11c1, dev=0x0448) at 16.0 irq 5
>
> I see two devices on interupt 5.  Windows also has both of
> these at interupt 5, but seems to handle it fine.
>
> Also, sometime when booting up, the computer freezes.  It being
> a Dell Inspiron 7500, the only way to unfreeze it is to remove
> the battery.  It freezes exactly after the snippet I showed
> above.
>
> I don't have any usb devices.  I tried also enabling usb to
> see if that made a difference, but it didn't.
>
> Any ideas?  Any more info needed?

---
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
The Office Of Water Programs - CSU Sacramento