Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 13:02:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> OK, not being one to let a good offer like this go unpunished, I've
> just created:
>
> 		new-users@FreeBSD.org
>
> It's also aliased to new-user, newbies & newbie, just to catch all the
> possible permutations.. :-)  Since `newbie' has negative connotations,
> I don't expect we'll be using or calling the mailing list by that name
> very much (if at all).
>
> This alias points straight to Gary.  Should a `grants committee' be
> formed at some point, then Gary can have me turn this into a real
> mailing list.

OK, fine.  I assume this means that willing helpers *and* helpees will
both just send mail to new-users and all this mail lands on me.  So far
no problem yet (sez he with a hint of trepidation in his voice :->.).

> I recommend both announce@FreeBSD.org and comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce.

I'm working on an announcement at the moment.  I'll send it to you for
final vetting.  I'll expect someone (other than myself) to take final
responsibility for the content of that message.

> I think this should only happen once a newbie has truly _in their own mind_
> made the transition to `helper' status and actually really wants to help.
> Most folks will find the pay-back nature of the arrangement only natural
> and fair, but those that don't shouldn't be forced into it - they'll only
> provide bad support for some other poor new newbie!

OK, I hear what you are saying and I do agree.  I'm a strong believer in
the principle that `assisting others is the best way to learn something
yourself'.  I want the `helpees' to really feel an obligation to
contribute and when they do they'll derive additional benefit for
themselves anyway.  There is always going to be a shortage of helpers
and I do want to capitalise on that `good feeling' that should result
from being given `personalised' help.  If you think about it, it's just
like a chain letter and we don't want breaks in the chain :->.

So do we just remind helpees that when they feel _comfortable_ about it
they will be followed up and asked to take on another new user?

> > 6.  I would try to do this `by hand' unless some scripting expert could
> >     come up with some automated scheme to handle it.
>
> Joerg's a PERL master - ask him! ;-)

I'll start `by hand' but if anyone volunteers to automate it, or has ideas
for automation, I certainly won't turn you away.

> Seriously - this sounds like a great idea and a great service, which is
> why I'm pushing ahead on it so quickly.  David Greenman (who's reading over
> my shoulder) thinks so too.  Let's do it!

Yeah, so far I'm willing to try.  I'll wait just a bit to see what other
reactions come to the surface.  While I'm waiting, if anyone is willing
to `adopt a newbie', just drop me a short note.  I've just cleared 100meg
on my disk to receive the flood of applications :->.

> 						Jordan

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (gary@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 844 0400   Fax +617 844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.