Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:38:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        developers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

I've just been talking with a friend of mine from the Samba team.
He's about to change jobs, and a lot of his work in future will
involve FreeBSD.  He's just been doing some performance testing, and
while the numbers are pretty even (since he discovered soft updates
:-), he's noticing some significant performance differences,
particularly on the TCP/IP area.

He is going to be sending me a copy of his preliminary report later
today, and he doesn't mind sharing it.  I'm a little concerned about
the "Them vs. Us" attitude such a report could cause.  He's not out to
show that Linux is better than FreeBSD; on the contrary, he would be a
lot happier if the results were in favour of FreeBSD, since otherwise
he has to do something about it.  I'd like a few of us to take a look
at what he's done first, and either point out where he can tune the
FreeBSD system, or how to find and eliminate the bottlenecks.  Who's
interested?

Greg