Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:17:49 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Omer Faruk SEN <omerfsen@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9 TB single device and zfs

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Omer Faruk SEN <omerfsen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it suggested to create a zfs on a single 9 TB volume?

Depends on your need.  You really haven't provided enough info to give
advice ie how many disks do you have, what storage capacity do you need,
performance etc.  ZFS capability are better utilized when ZFS, and not the
storage controller is providing the raid/mirroring functionality, but this
has some drawbacks as well.

> There is
> hardware raid and I am thinking to enable write-back cache on that hw
> based raid card.

Raid-z/mirror stripes have some advantages over hw raid so you may wish to
grow your understanding of the differences before proceeding.  You should
also ensure your hardware correctly handles cache flush requests as a few
disks and some SSD's don't.  If the hardware makes false reports to ZFS, you
can experience different forms of pool corruption in a loss of power
situation.  You'll almost certainly want a BBU if you're going to go this
route.

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide

--
Adam Vande More