Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2006 07:35:56 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Enigma <thaenigma03@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On-Board video card configuration.

Enigma wrote:

>I am fairly new to FreeBSD, and I have been having problems with my
>IBM Aptiva 2196-24A in getting the on-board video card configured with
>freeBSD. So i can run X window system at a decent resolution. All i can
>get to work is Standard VGA driver at 640x800 at 8bit. I have had this
>card working properly (win2k, ubuntu) so it is fully operational. The
>on-board chipset is SiS 540, and due to freeBSD not supporting this with
>options in the config menu, how can i go about setting it up to work?

In no particular order, what about:

   1.  Tell us more about what you've tried.

   2.  Post your configuration file.

   3.  Read the documentation at the Xorg site, or the manpage(s).

   4.  Peruse /var/log/Xorg.*log files for clues.

   5.  Xorg -configure  ?

To hazard a guess, I'd suggest defining the proper Sync
and Refresh rates for your monitor and setting up a better
"screens" block with a higher resolution and bit depth.

Here's part of one of my configuration files:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "ProView"
        ModelName    "760N"