Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 21:27:08 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem building custom KERNEL.....

Tom Kersten wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am trying to build a custom kernel and have run into
> an error when I try to run 'make'. The problem seems
> to occur when it is trying to work with "umass.o".
> This is the first error that the debug kicks out:
>
> "umass.o: In function 'umass_cam_attach_sim':
>
> This is then followed by what appears to be numerous
> attempts to to something with umass.c(*)...all
> attempts are return with the error "undefined error
> to' + some file name. I have attached my new kernel
> config file. If you need more information please let
> me know.

It is kind of a reading test. You deleted things without out reading.
You have

# SCSI peripherals
#device
	scbus		# SCSI bus (required)
#device
	da		# Direct Access (disks)

And in the entry for umass, you have the following

device
umass
# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

Notice the requires on umass. Well, you have to make a choice. You
either have to uncomment the scbus and da lines or you have to comment
umass. Based on what I am seeing, you just missed commenting the umass
line. You should have searched the kernel config file for umass and then
you could have diagnosed the problem by yourself. It doesn't always work
this way but this is one of the straight forward user errors.

Have a good day,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart