Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2018 15:27:41 -0500
From:      John Lyon <johnllyon@gmail.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for cheap PCI-E network adapter ?

To answer your first question, the better drivers might be in -CURRENT but
I would never know as I run -RELEASE/STABLE. :-)  However, I can think of
any number of possibilities (one, some, or none of which may be true),
including:
    - Licensing incompatibilities
    - Regressions for older hardware (I can confirm based on personal
experience that the latest vendor drivers perform worse on my ~10 year old
RealTek cards than the FreeBSD supplied drivers)
    - Lack of awareness (the RealTek website lists their drivers as being
for FreeBSD 8.x but they are really for 11.x and RealTek just never updated
their site)
    - Other reasons known to those more knowledgeable.

For your second question, my pricing information is a few years old.  When
I searched, I was looking on Ebay and Amazon for used parts.  I would not
be surprised if there were a slight ($1-$2) price inflation between then
and now.

John L. Lyon
PGP Key Available At:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skmedtscs0tgex7/02150BFE.asc