Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:54:16 -0500
From:      Andre Goree <andre@drenet.info>
To:        Schaich Alonso <alonsoschaich@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] tmux and konsole characters

--------------enig9E3CA420E12C18DB52180136

On 02/03/13 08:06, Schaich Alonso wrote:
> On 2013-02-03, 07:51, Andre Goree wrote:
>> I'm having an issue with tmux on certain ssh connections.  When I
>> connect to my freebsd server's tmux session that has multiple panes in=

>> one window, everything looks fine.  However, when I connect to my linu=
>> box, I get this weird character [1] instead of a line as I would expec=
t.

>> Any ideas on how I can fix this?  Really just an annoyance rather than=
>> real issue, but I'm sure someone has come across this before and fixed=

>> it.  Googling wasn't much help -- though I did find some solutions, th=
ey
>> did not work for me.
>>
>> [1]http://www.drenet.net/images/snapshot2.png
>>

>=20
> This looks like a character encoding issue. Are the SSH client terminal=

> and the Shell on the server side using the same encodings (i.e. do the
> suffices of the output of "locale" match on both systems)?
>=20
> If they don't, the konsole can be configured to use the host's encoding=

> by selecting it in konsole menu -> view -> set encoding.
>=20
> Alonso
>=20

Thanks!  That was it...I opened a new konsole window, set the encoding
to UTF-8 (which my arch linux box is using) and the lines show up fine.

On a related note, I guess I can set LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8 in my .bashrc and=

have that as my default, no?  Any nuances on en_US.UTF-8 vs. ISO8859?
I've never really ever needed to deal with locales before, but I believe
UTF-8 offers more characters, no?

--=20
Andre Goree
andre@drenet.info