Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 23:47:52 -0500
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Colin" <cwass99@home.com>, "Mike s" <god@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bugs in the handbook. (FreeBSD Portal)

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 01:21:21 -0800 (PST), Mike s wrote:

>again take linux.com for example. IF we had volunteers
>who had knowledge of the latest web development
>resources/languages such as sPHP we can start a site
>that is based mostly on volunteers as is linux.com

FreeBSD.org IS based on volunteers. Why not try to improve that
site before adding yet another site?

>again, not to compete at all with freebsd.org a
>separate entity entirely.

If you make a separate site, not only YOU ARE competing, but you
are not helping on getting the problems you think that site has.

>besides, a lot of people who would commit to -docs
>don't have the knowledge or patience to learn the SGML
>structure if the site itself.

Have you looked at the Doc primer?

>I'd like to see a site going up utilizing php/mysql
>for fast and convenient site development.

This has been discussed in the past.. There are problems with
this approach. The biggest one is that this makes the site much
more harder to mirror.

>I guess i will start by saying that I am willing to
>donate a considerable ammount of time to working on
>this project.

So why not take 2 to 4 hours to go over the Doc primer and learn
how to submit work to the Doc project. Then submit new docs or
improvements to existing docs.

>If anyone else is interested in helping out send me an
>email with subject "FreeBSD Portal Volunteer" and once
>we reach a sufficient ammount of volunteers. ( say 5
>or 6 ) well, we can get things under way.

The effort that it would take to start yet another site could be
much better spent improving the existing FreeBSD.org site.

Have you ever attempted to help the Doc group? Have you
contacted them with any issues thoughts you may have about the
existing site?

Can we move this discussion to the Doc list? It really does not
belong in stable.