Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:04:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        abial@webgiro.com (Andrzej Bialecki), phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Final call for review: Dynamic sysctls.

> > > I already have registered a vendor OID with IANA for FreeBSD.
> >
> > Good! Then what it is?
>
> He can't just give it out and let you use it without allocating
> a sub-arc to the specific purpose.

PS: It's 1.3.6.1.4.1.2238.

I suggest that someone coordinate allocation of sub-arcs.

I suggest:

	.0		sysctl
	.0.0		variant sysctl
	.0.1		static sysctl

Unless already allocated.

NOTE! Some sysctl's fit into RFC2790!!!

I would also suggest that all applications and networking operations
need assignements, except as where sub-element assignments have
already been specified, for all RFC'ed MIBs, under an RFC sub-ARC
(see references following signature).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.
Terry's list of non-obsolete, non-experimental, non-informational,
standard and standards track MIB RFC's
Current as of: 14 Jun 2000
RFC1231		IEEE 802.5 Token Ring MIB
RFC1253		OSPF Version 2 Management Information Base
RFC1269		Definitions of Managed Objects for the Border
		Gateway Protocol
RFC1381		SNMP MIB Extension for X.25 LAPB
RFC1382		SNMP MIB Extension for the X.25 Packet Layer
RFC1414		Identification MIB
RFC1461		SNMP MIB extension for Multiprotocol Interconnect
		over X.25
RFC1471		The Definitions of Managed Objects for the Link
		Control Protocol of the Point-to-Point Protocol
RFC1472		The Definitions of Managed Objects for the Security
		Protocols of the Point-to-Point Protocol
RFC1473		The Definitions of Managed Objects for the IP
		Network Control Protocol of the Point-to-Point
		Protocol
RFC1493		Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges
RFC1512		FDDI Management Information Base
RFC1513		Token Ring Extensions to the Remote Network
		Monitoring MIB
RFC1515		Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Medium
		Attachment Units (MAUs)
RFC1525		Definitions of Managed Objects for Source Routing
		Bridges
RFC1559		DECnet Phase IV MIB Extensions
RFC1604		Definitions of Managed Objects for Frame Relay
		Service
RFC1611		DNS Server MIB Extensions
RFC1612		DNS Resolver MIB Extensions
RFC1643		Definitions of Managed Objects for the Ethernet-like
		Interface Types
RFC1650		Definitions of Managed Objects for the Ethernet-like
		Interface Types using SMIv2
RFC1657		Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fourth Version
		of the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP-4) using SMIv2
RFC1658		Definitions of Managed Objects for Character Stream
		Devices using SMIv2
RFC1659		Definitions of Managed Objects for RS-232-like
		Hardware Devices using SMIv2
RFC1660		Definitions of Managed Objects for Parallel-printer-
		like Hardware Devices using SMIv2
RFC1666		Definitions of Managed Objects for SNA NAUs using
		SMIv2
RFC1694		Definitions of Managed Objects for SMDS Interfaces
		using SMIv2
RFC1696		Modem Management Information Base (MIB) using SMIv2
RFC1697		Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
		Management Information Base (MIB) using SMIv2
RFC1724		RIP Version 2 MIB Extension
RFC1742		AppleTalk Management Information Base II
RFC1749		IEEE 802.5 Station Source Routing MIB using SMIv2
RFC1759		Printer MIB
RFC1850		OSPF Version 2 Management Information Base
RFC1907		Management Information Base for Version 2 of the
		Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)
RFC2006		The Definitions of Managed Objects for IP Mobility
		Support using SMIv2
RFC2011		SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the Internet
		Protocol using SMIv2
RFC2012		SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the
		Transmission Control Protocol using SMIv2
RFC2013		SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the User
		Datagram Protocol using SMIv2
RFC2020		IEEE 802.12 Interface MIB
RFC2021		Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
		Base Version 2 using SMIv2
RFC2024		Definitions of Managed Objects for Data Link
		Switching using SMIv2
RFC2096		IP Forwarding Table MIB
RFC2108		Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3
		Repeater Devices using SMIv2
RFC2115		Management Information Base for Frame Relay DTEs
		Using SMIv2
RFC2127		ISDN Management Information Base using SMIv2
RFC2128		Dial Control Management Information Base using
		SMIv2
RFC2206		RSVP Management Information Base using SMIv2
RFC2213		Integrated Services Management Information Base
		using SMIv2
RFC2214		Integrated Services Management Information Base
		Guaranteed Service Extensions using SMIv2
RFC2232		Definitions of Managed Objects for DLUR using
		SMIv2
RFC2238		Definitions of Managed Objects for HPR using SMIv2
RFC2266		Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.12
		Repeater Devices
RFC2287		Definitions of System-Level Managed Objects for
		Applications
RFC2320		Definitions of Managed Objects for Classical IP
		and ARP Over ATM Using SMIv2 (IPOA-MIB)
RFC2417		Definitions of Managed Objects for Multicast over
		UNI 3.0/3.1 based ATM Networks
RFC2452		IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the
		Transmission Control Protocol
RFC2454		IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the
		User Datagram Protocol
RFC2465		Management Information Base for IP Version 6
RFC2466		Management Information Base for IP Version 6
RFC2496		Definitions of Managed Object for the DS3/E3
		Interface Type
RFC2515		Definitions of Managed Objects for ATM Management
RFC2558		Definitions of Managed Objects for the SONET/SDH
		Interface Type
RFC2561		Base Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E
		Using SMIv2
RFC2562		Definitions of Protocol and Managed Objects for
		TN3270E Response Time Collection Using SMIv2
		(TN3270E-RT-MIB)
RFC2564		Application Management MIB
RFC2584		Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN/HPR in IP
		Networks
RFC2591		Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling
		Management Operations
RFC2592		Definitions of Managed Objects for the Delegation
		of Management Script
RFC2594		Definitions of Managed Objects for WWW Services
RFC2605		Directory Server Monitoring MIB
RFC2613		Remote Network Monitoring MIB Extensions for
		Switched Networks Version 1.0
RFC2618		RADIUS Authentication Client MIB
RFC2619		RADIUS Authentication Server MIB
RFC2620		RADIUS Accounting Client MIB
RFC2621		RADIUS Accounting Server MIB
RFC2662		Definitions of Managed Objects for the ADSL Lines
RFC2665		Definitions of Managed Objects for the Ethernet-
		like Interface Types
RFC2667		IP Tunnel MIB
RFC2668		Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3
		Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)
RFC2669		DOCSIS Cable Device MIB Cable Device Management
		Information Base for DOCSIS compliant Cable
		Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems
RFC2670		Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management
		Information Base for MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF
		interfaces
RFC2674		Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with
		Traffic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual
		LAN Extensions
RFC2677		Definitions of Managed Objects for the NBMA Next
		Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP)
RFC2788		Network Services Monitoring MIB
RFC2789		Mail Monitoring MIB
RFC2790		Host Resources MIB
RFC2819		Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
		Base
RFC2863		The Interfaces Group MIB
RFC2864		The Inverted Stack Table Extension to the
		Interfaces Group MIB