Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:37:27 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        olsenc@smokey.ee.washington.edu (Clint Olsen)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI_DELAY

Clint Olsen stands accused of saying:

> It was suggested that I increase SCSI_DELAY.  As I suspected, it
> didn't have any effect.  I changed it from 10 to 20 seconds.  I
> doubt an eon would have any difference:
>
> aic0 at 0x340-0x35f irq 11 on isa
> aic0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> (aic0:1:0): "CDC 94171-9 0045" type 0 fixed SCSI 1
> sd0(aic0:1:0): Direct-Access 312MB (640584 512 byte sectors)
> (aic0:2:0): "unknown unknown ????" type 0 fixed SCSI 0
>
> However, using scsi(8) commands does properly identify the second
> disk.  Could the aic driver be at fault?

No, as the scsi(8) command just uses the aic driver.  It's more likely
that either :

a) if you check the response back during the initial enquiry it's slightly
   incorrect (I don't have the spec handy, so I can't be sure)

or

b) the MD21 normally returns the drive type of the ESDI disk attached to it.
   It's possible that the disk you're using doesn't return its type, and
   the MD21 is behaving strangely because of this.

Either way, I wouldn't sweat it.  The MD21 has enough other quirks that
a slight bogosity in an inquiry command shouldn't lose you any sleep.

> -Clint

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[