Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:54:01 EDT
From:      ATeslik@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linksys LNE100TXII card

I recieved this message from Bill Paul.
Note that on Linksys's website they claim three chipsets used on their cards,
PNIC, DEC, and Linksys. See
http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/freebsd.htm

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, ATeslik@aol.com
had to walk into mine and say:

No, your card does not have the LinkSys chipset. LinkSys doesn't make
chipsets: they buy boards and chips from other companies and put their
names on it.

The problem here is that the what you really have is the LNE100TX V2.0.
This uses a different chip than the previous cards. I mistakenly thought
that it was a new generation of the PNIC, but in reality it's more like
the Macronix 98715A (the datasheet I have for it even has the Macronix
logo on it). What you really need is the mx driver.

Download if_mx.c and if_mxreg.h from
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Macronix/3.0 and copy them to /sys/pci.
Then add 'device mx0' do your kernel config and recompile. Remove
'device pn0' unless you need it for another card. If you do need it,
you'll have to comment out the PNIC II entry from the device list
at the top of if_pn.c.

-Bill