Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:04:29 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation Suggestion

On Monday 06 August 2007 07:46:01 Christopher Key wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to install FreeBSD for the first time on a new machine and
> have a few questions:
>
> 1) The motherboard is an Intel DQ964GF, which uses the ICH8 chipset.  Is
> it better to use this in IDE or AHCI mode?  (The system will be booting
> from a S-ATA disk)
>
> 2) Are there any good documents discussing the relative merits of using
> i386 / amd64?
>
> 3) Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to perform the
> installation.  The machine has no floppy or CD-ROM drive, and it's not
> really convenient to temporarily add them as I may well end up going
> through the install procedure several times.  The options seem to be
> either a USB flash drive (any thoughts on how to get a UFS file system
> and FreeBSD MBR on there using only WinXP), or via the network.
>
> Any advice much appreciated,
>
> Chris

i was in process of building a system on that same board (but mine was 965?)
last week, and tho i didnt take the time to troubleshoot the issue, i never
could get the actual install to copy the data to the drive. the cdrom drive
kept saying acd15 (or something like that, instead of the norm acd0).

long story short, i picked my board from from ebay, and the thermal sensors
were trashed.  the board always read 85-87C, and had a chronic thermal'ing
problem.  (thankfully, the seller took it back with a refund).

but, the problem i was having wit the cdrom drive was not looking like it was
going to be a pleasant one.
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org