Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2013 09:21:52 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Release ISO images have broken RockRidge data

On Apr 9, 2013, at 7:00 AM, Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru> wrote:

> Hi!
>=20
> Release ISO images located at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/a=
md64/ISO-IMAGES/
> were generated with mkisofs until switch to makefs. For example,
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.2/FreeBSD-8.=
2-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso
> was generated with mkisofs and has correct RockRidge extended attributes.
>=20
> # isoinfo -d -R -i FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso
> System id: FreeBSD
> Volume id: FreeBSD_LiveFS
> Volume set id:=20
> Publisher id: The FreeBSD Project.  http://www.freebsd.org/
> Data preparer id:=20
> Application id: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DV=
D CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING
> Copyright File id:=20
> Abstract File id:=20
> Bibliographic File id:=20
> Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
> Rock Ridge id 'RRIP_1991A'
> Eltorito validation header:
>    Hid 1
>        Bootid 88 (bootable)
>=20
> This image may be unrolled correctly with respect to hardlinks using xorri=
so command from ports:
>=20
> # xorriso -for_backup -load volid \* -indev ../FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-l=
ivefs.iso  -osirrox on -- -extract / livefs -rollback_end
>=20
> Newer images (8.3 and later) were generated using makefs that seem to prod=
uce incorrect RockRidge data:
>=20
> # isoinfo -d -R -i FreeBSD-8.4-BETA1-amd64-livefs.iso | grep id
> System id: NetBSD
> Volume id: FREEBSD_LIVEFS
> Volume set id:=20
> Publisher id:=20
> Data preparer id:=20
> Application id:=20
> Copyright File id:=20
> Abstract File id:=20
> Bibliographic File id:=20
> Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
> Rock Ridge id 'IEEE_P1282'
> Eltorito validation header:
>    Hid 1
>        Bootid 88 (bootable)
>=20
> Same xorriso command produces tons of following error messages and unrolls=
 the image
> without respect  to hardlinkg increasing size in nearly 3 times:
>=20
> libisofs: WARNING : Invalid TF entry
> Caused by: Wrong or damaged RR entry
>=20
> bsdtar from 8.3-STABLE shows lots of errors too, while extracting FreeBSD-=
8.4-BETA1-amd64-livefs.iso
> mdconfig breaks hardlinks too.
>=20
> Is it possible to unroll this image respecting hardlinks?
>=20
> Eugene Grosbein
>=20

While not the same you can always do this=20

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f yourfreebsd-version.iso

mount -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /cdrom=20

Then use pax, cpio , cp, rsync etc to copy the data off the image .

Also if memory serves me right libarchive may be able to unpack an iso much l=
ike a tar or cpio archive . Double check that .=20

Also makefs was imported from netbsd I would see if netbsd's isos have the s=
ame issues .=20

Hope this helps=20
---
Mark saad | mark.saad@longcount.org