Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 22:55:37 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        "freebs >> Current FreeBSD" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

--------------enig41080BA85D89561BF18ABBB1

On 06/03/12 15:29, Erich wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On 03 June 2012 PM 5:14:10 Adam Strohl wrote:
>> On 6/3/2012 11:14, Erich wrote:
>>> What I really do not understand in this whole discussion is very simp=
le. Is it just a few people who run into problems like this or is this si=
mply ignored by the people who set the strategy for FreeBSD?

>>> I mention since yeares here that putting version numbers onto the por=
t tree would solve many of these problems. All I get as an answer is that=
 it is not possible.

>>> I think that this should be easily possible with the limitation that =
older versions do not have security fixes. Yes, but of what help is a sec=
urity fix if there is no running port for the fix?

>> I feel like I'm missing something.  Why would you ever want to go back=
=20
>> to an old version of the ports tree?  You're ignoring tons of security=
=20
>> issues!

=2E.. I think the PNG update isn't a security issue. And for not being a
security issue, it triggered an inadequate  mess!

>> And if a port build is broken then the maintainer needs to fix it, tha=
t=20
>> is the solution.

Look at the comment of the maintainer of LibreOffice ...

>> I must be missing something else here, it just seems like the underlyi=
ng=20
>> "need" for this is misguided (and dangerous from a security perspectiv=
e).
>=20
> yes, you miss a very simple thing. Updated this morning your ports tree=
=2E Your client asks for something for Monday morning for which you need =
now a program which needs some kind of PNG but you did not install it.

=2E.. I spent now two complete days watching my boxes updating their
ports. Several ports do not compile anymore (inkscape, libreoffice,
libxul, to name some of the very hurting ones!).

>=20
> Do you have a machine that is fast enough to upgrade all your ports and=
 still finish what your client needs Monday morning?

Even my fastest box, a brand new 6 core Sandy-Bridge-E, wasn't capable
of compiling all the ports in due time. Several ports requested
attendance, several, as mentioned, didn't compile out of the blue.

>=20
> The ports tree is not broken as such. Only the installation gets broken=
 in some sense. Have a version number there would allow people to go back=
 to the last known working ports tree, install the software - or whatever=
 has to be done - with a working system.
>=20
> Of course, the next step will be an upgrade. But only after the work wh=
ich brings in the money is done.
>=20
> You do not face this problem on Windows. You can run a 10 year old 'ker=
nel' and still install modern software.
>=20
> Erich

I like having a very modern system with the most recent software. But in
some cases, like these days with the PNG, FreeBSD's ports becomes again
a problem. There is no convenient way to downgrade or allow the
user/admin managing how to deal with the load of updates.