Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:19:14 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@hotmail.com>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating network interface in VM?

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 07:52:18PM -0600, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:17:25 -0500, Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com> wrote:
> >> I'm running FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2 in a virtual machine in
> >> VirtualBox, running on a Linux (Debian) host.
> >> [...]
> >> I tried to set this up on the FreeBSD side, but I am unable to
> >> even create the vbox0 interface:
> >>
> >> ---
> >> # ifconfig vbox0 create
> >> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Invalid argument
> >> ---
> >>

> > I'm not sure, but I think what you're searching for would be to
> > have VB "create" a NIC substitute for the FreeBSD guest OS. When
> > you said, you could reach network from out of the FreeBSD VB,
> > a virtual network adapter. Which interface did you use from
> > within FreeBSD?
> >
> > As far as I know, there's no vbox (pseudo)interface driver in
> > FreeBSD, that's why the ifconfig create command returned an error.
> >

> The guest machine is always going to use the virtual driver provided by
> virtualbox, which is configured through the virtualbox gui control
> before you start the machine. I suggest trying to configure that
> interface, not vbox0. vbox0 is an interface on the host OS.

Ah, of course. That makes total sense, sorry I didn't grok this
before.

One of the virtual network cards worked fine, using the le0
driver, so I set up the le0 driver to use NAT to reach the
outside, and then configured VB to use the same kind of
virtual network card to run HIF networking, and set up the le1
driver in my FreeBSD machine at the appropriate addresses.
Now everything works: I can reach the outside via the le0
driver and I can reach to and from my host with the le1
driver.

Thanks!

Jesse Sheidlower