Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 21:50:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Wright <jason@oozoo.vnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32Mb memory only seeing 16M (fwd)

> >I've got 32Mb of memory in a 486dx2/66 with ISA and PCI slots.  But
> >as FreeBSD boots it only sees 16Mb.  I read through the FAQ and the
> >only mention is that FreeBSD has BOUNCE_BUFFERS (which are enabled
> >in the kernel I'm running) which all the use of 32Mb of memory.
> >Any thoughts?
>
>    Look in your BIOS configuration for anything that might sound like it would
> create a hole in the 15MB-16MB region. This is an option that people sometimes
> use when they need more shared memory space than just the 640K-1MB hole
> provides.
>
> -DG

Thank you!  I finally got a chance to reboot the machine and fiddle with the
BIOS parameters, found one that mentioned a 'hole', and disabled it.  The
box saw the memory and is running much better.  (The extra 16Mb definately
makes a difference as this is a file server =).  Btw, the reason I responded:
please add this to the FAQ.  I doubt it's _frequently_ asked, but it is a
very simple fix.

--Jason