Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 1996 21:00:18 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Beck Peccoz Amedeo <gea@masternet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc syncing questions

>Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>
> I've got a Seagate wide HD (ST32550W) acceptinc max sync transfer
>rate of 20 Mbytes/s (i.e. 10MHz).

Don't confuse the issue.  It syncs at a clock rate measured in MHz
not MB/s.

>If I set the ultra speed on the adapter
>(20MHz or 40Mb/s) it still syncs at 10MHz. So far so good.

Right since it can't do 20MHz.  If you have an old version of the
driver, you may actually be syncing at 5MHz though.  I fixed the
Ultra bug about a month or so ago.

> A problem arises when I run a benchmark, a very silly one, that does
>only read a big unfragmented file, as I get a transfer rate of only 7.4
>Mb/s, while I read of a test on the same drive/adapter leading to a transfer
>rate of 16Mb/s, more than twice.

Ha.  That drive will not get anywhere near 16MB/s.  16Mb/s I might believe
(2MB/s).  To figure out the maximum you can expect from the drive, you
need to look at media transfer rates, not the sync rate.  A quick
calculation using the RPM of the drive and its media density should get you
what you want.  Remember that the driver transfers short bursts of data
across the SCSI bus at the negotiated sync rate, but in most cases it
cannot sustain that rate throughout the entire transfer.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations