Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:57:30 +0200
From:      piotr.smyrak@heron.pl
To:        Martin <nakal@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no USB mice detected on GA-MA74GM-S2

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:49:25 +0200, Martin wrote
> Am Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:08:05 +0200
> schrieb Piotr Smyrak <piotr.smyrak@heron.pl>:
>
> > First I started with my old build of 6.2, then upgraded to 6.4
> > STABLE, to finally upgrade to 7.2 PRERELEASE in hope of fixing
the
> > issue. None of versions gave me USB mouse support. I have tried
> > connecting 3 various mice. No luck. The only effect I can
achieve
> > after connecting a mouse, is a somewhat delayed message on
console:

> I have had also problems with recent Gigabyte Mainboards
> and USB mice. Something is really broken in this branch.
> Unlike you, I could always get my mouse to work by re-
> attaching it. You should perhaps take a look at the BIOS
> USB settings, so you could get at least the re-attaching
> work-around to work.
>
> BIOS settings that influence the behavior of USB mice are:
> - any "legacy USB support" settings
> - so-called "BIOS support for USB mice"

I have 5 options regarding USB in the BIOS:
* OnChip USB controller
* USB EHCI controller
* USB Keyboard support
* USB Mouse support
* Legacy USB storage detect

Should mention in the original post, I have them all but the first
one disabled. I have tried many combinations including disabling
the OnChip controller totally. All in vain.

> Because -STABLE has been really frustrating, I migrated
> all my desktops to -CURRENT that has the new USB-v2 stack.
> The USB problems disappeared there.
>
> I'm overall satisfied with -CURRENT. I've always wanted to
> say that FreeBSD developers do a really great job on the
> -CURRENT branch. It's running very stable and has plenty
> of new features. I know I shouldn't recommend to migrate
> to -CURRENT, but I'm almost sure, it runs much better than
> every -CURRENT I've seen before and sometimes I have the
> impression that it's even nicer than the -STABLE branch.

Well, I am not scared by -CURRENT at all, but I was hesitating to
upgrade main build since it is after all a moving target and I
would like to keep my main work horse as much steady as possible.

Thanks for suggestions,
--
 Piotr Smyrak
 piotr.smyrak@heron.pl