Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:21:37 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Big physically contiguous mbuf clusters

Garrett Wollman wrote this message on Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 13:54 -0500:
> Resolved: that mbuf clusters longer than one page ought not be
> supported.  There is too much physical-memory fragmentation for them
> to be of use on a moderately active server.  9k mbufs are especially
> bad, since in the fragmented case they waste 3k per allocation.

I agree, but I am split on removing the code as there are still very
broken controllers that may require them, though in those cases, it
might be helpful to have a tunable that lets you set how many jumbo
frames are allocated at boot, and these pages are never released back
to the system...

We definately need to fix all the drivers that use MJUM9BYTES which
apparently are quite a few:
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?im=excerpts;i=MJUM9BYTES

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579