Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:42:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE stopped working after -current upgrade

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
> => I had KDE running nicely since November on my dual PII. After
> => rebuilding -current on Saturday, I can not login -- seems like the
> => window manager is crashing:
> =>
> => 	pid 52040 (kdeinit), uid 105: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
> =>
> => The only unusual thing is -- PTHREAD_LIBS is set to -lthr... I tried
> => rebuilding Qt, kdelibs, and kdebase -- still the same.
>
> =Ports are not yet ready for switching PTHREAD_LIBS to something other
> =than -lc_r. But don't let this stop you from trying to figure out which
> =ports are getting confused and fixing them :-) For 5.3 we'll need to
> =solve this since libkse^H^H^Hpthread will be the default.
>
> KDE ports seem to be ready. ldd confirms, that there is no -lc_r in the
> list of libraries -- only -lthr. Most importantly, it was running fine
> until the upgrade. I only started rebuilding it after noticing crashes
> post reboot.

Make sure you have all the X/Qt/KDE binaries and libraries
built for only -lthr (you didn't mention rebuilding X above).
To make sure mixing libthr with libc_r or libkse as a problem,
you can use /etc/libmap.conf to force libthr for libkse and
libc_r.  If you still have crashes, then that might point a
finger at libthr...