Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:08:30 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing openssl from ports

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:06:52 -0400
Jim Ballantine articulated:

> Hi,
>
> I understand that heimdal and openssl are both port of the base
> system and both install
> fine with a system build/install.  But when I attempt to install the
> latest openssl for the
> port system, it fails with a conflict (installs file in the same
> place) with heimdal.  I've search
> the web for an answer but haven't found one and asked the port owner.
>
> So my question is short of editing the Make file to remove the
> installation of the file in
> conflict, what do I need to do to install the openssl port?

I have the port version installed also. You need to put this in
your /etc/make.conf file sans quotations marks:
"WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes" and then build the port. Be sure to run
"make config" in the port prior to actually building it and that is
about it. If you are building it manually, you might want to run "make
clean" in the port prior to attempting to build it though.

--
Jerry ♔