Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:12:41 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd and kde

Duraid <latif2221@home.com> types:
> sorry, lot's of questions... but im tired looking and solving problems with
> library mismatch and differences between distributions... i need an already
> OPERATING system...and i like the idea that freebsd comes with these things
> taken care of.. am i wrong?

Nope, you're right. That's one of the main differences between the BSD
distributions and the Linux distributions: the BSDs are complete
distributions, built and maintained as a whole by one group; they
aren't a system distributed by one group built out of parts from other
groups. The downside of this is that upgrading one part of the
distribution without the rest (in particular, going from one kernel to
another) doesn't work very well, and is in general not supported.

However, third party applications (aka "ports") are *not* maintained
by that group. Any particular one may be maintained by someone in that
group, but that's a separate effort by that individual. This means
that ports may fail across a given system upgrade, and that binaries
built for old systems may not work properly on new ones. Some of this
is mitigated by keeping old versions of the libraries available.

> Jim Mock wrote:
> > of the other stuff you're running on Linux.  The only stuff the binary
> > compatibility layer (note I didn't say emulation, because it's not
> > emulation) is used for is things that are shipped in a Linux binary for
> > only.  Like Word Perfect.  Or Star Office.  Or Acrobat Reader.  The rest

As an aside, Sun has released the source to Star Office and rebadged
the project as "Open Office". The port of that is in progress.

	<mike