Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:33:23 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <matthew@wolfepub.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Protecting data in memory

Greetings,

Is there any way to protect a programs memory space from all users, even
root?  I am developing an encryption program that has to run as a daemon.
Upon start-up the program would prompt for the key, then slip into daemon
land.  If the server is compromised (root access is gained) can I prevent
the cracker from reading the program's memory and gaining access to the key
data?  As long as I can keep the key secure, the data should be safe (I'm
using IDEA in chain-block mode).  I'm currently writing the program in C.

If this is not possible (protecting the key), then can someone shed some
light on how I can protect sensitive data on an on-line machine?  I know, I
know, but this data "has" to be on-line for processing that happens all day
long.

Thanks,
Matthew