Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2015 11:10:52 -0700
From:      James Gritton <jamie@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring network without ezjail

On 2015-12-11 18:50, marcel wrote:
> No I don't get to have an IP address... Yet I have writed this in my
> host's rc.conf:
>
> jail_enable="YES"
> jail_list="thename"
> jail_guantanamo_rootdir="thepath"
> jail_guantanamo_hostname="thename"
> jail_guantanamo_ip="192.168.0.12"
>
> and I use the command:
>
> jail thepath thename 192.168.0.12 /bin/csh
>
> to connect to my jail...

Is the jail even created?  You show jail_name as "thename", but the jail
config variables are jail_quantanamo_*.  So when you say "thename" do
you really mean quantanamo?  Because if you don't, then the jail won't
get configured at startup.

The command you're using to connect to the jail is actually a command
that creates a jail.  That's probably not what you want, as that jail is
likely to disappear again after you exit from it.  You should be using
jexec(8), assuming your jail has been properly created in the first
place.

Now to the IP address: is your entire box behind some gateway, where it
uses a 192.168 address?  If it isn't, you'll need more than to just
declare such an address - you'll need a jail with vnet, which is rather
more complex.  But if it is, then the question becomes: is 192.168.0.12
the host address, i.e. are you creating a jail that shares the host
address?  If you are it should work, but most jails aren't done this
way.

Specifying a jail's IP address only tell which of the host's existing
addresses to use.  If that address isn't already set up, it won't be
used - unless you tell it to.  If you're still using the rc.conf-based
jail specification, you can set jail_interface (or
jail_quantanamo_interface) to the name of the network interface where
the host's main IP address lives (e.g. "em0" or somesuch).  Such a
config line is likely all you need.

- Jamie