Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:14:52 +0100
From:      David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building your own FreeBSD installation CD-ROM

List,

(I asked this question last week on -questions but received zero
answers. My apologies if this is the second time you are seeing this
question).

how does one go about creating a FreeBSD install CD-ROM? I'd like to be
able to build my own CD-ROM with as much as possible of the install
process done automatically. For instance, what parts of FreeBSD to
install: X or not, games or not, etc. etc. And which ports to install
straight away. I could also set up cfengine so that as soon as the
machine came to life it could go and connect to my cfengine repository
and download all the latest configurations to move into operational status.

E.g., I'd like to just have to specify the partition layout, the name
and IP of the machine, and its role(s): (web, dns, squid, mta, samba...)

This would make rebuilding so much faster if a machine was
catastrophically trashed. I could just hand someone a CD and a sheet of
paper and they should be able to work it out by themselves without
knowing too much about the ins and outs of FreeBSD. I could go on
holidays without being stressed out.

Thanks for any pointers to documentation on the subject, I'm sure people
have done this before, but I can't coax the results out from my web
searches.

Thanks,
David