Date:      8 Dec 1995 01:56:26 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newsserver configuration

jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco) writes:
[...]

>News Rule 1:  You would rather have LOTS of slightly slower, smaller disks
>than a few large, fast drives.  This fact has been lost on so many people.
>If I had a nickel for every time I've told somebody this and they've ignored
>me, I could be Bill Gates.

Heh.  And I get a good giggle when you post your pretty damn good news
throughput stats on the news admin newsgroups when people are having
bottleneck problems on their "super fast, high performance servers",
and their jaws drop and they ask you what you're running... :-)

It's especially interesting after there's been a long argument on how
important it is to have a "big, mega fast disk" (hoho).

And here comes Joe, on his "lowly" pentium FreeBSD box with
run-of-the-mill disks showing impressive numbers beating the $30,000
hardware.. :-)  Bang! shoots their argument to bits.. :-)

(Well, maybe my memory of the most recent "go round" is a little
exaggerated, but you get the idea.. :-)

-Peter