Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:57:49 -0500
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@edifecs.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Lance Costanzo <lance@costanzo.net>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ECC RAM useless with FreeBSD?

Some memory errors are transient, radiation-induced events. The likelihood of
such errors is increased by the decreasing storage cell charge employed with
increasing memory density.  This problem will be more serious at high altitude
because of increased cosmic radiation. As an extreme case, I believe that
laptops used in orbit on the Space Shuttle crash of order once a day from
radiation events. Such errors are not memory chip problems per se, and could be
a good reason to enable ECC when available.